Proposition: Artifacts are substances in the same way as natural substances, e.g. a mouse trap is a substance in the way that a mouse is a substance.
Either the artificial substance’s essence finds its source and origin in God or not God.
- If not God, then only some intelligent creature can be the cause of the artificial substance, namely a rational creature.
- However, if a creature is the source and origin of the artificial substance’s essence then God is not the source and origin of all things.
- Therefore, God is not Creator, but a creator and a creature is a creator.
- If God, then God ordered the artificial substance to some end, namely its intrinsic finality.
- However, there are some artifacts that are ordered to their destruction, e.g. dynamite.
- Something intrinsically ordered to its own destruction is ordered to evil.
- Therefore, God orders some part of creation intrinsically to evil.
- Therefore, God wills evil and is therefore not perfect.
Therefore, given the proposition, God is either not Creator or is not perfect.